"And the beat goes on....................."
Reminder: Last Chance. The lists of names for possible inclusion in the Arts Dinner-vention dinner party are due tomorrow November 20th. Email to me at email@example.com. I know you have some names to suggest. Thanks.
Thankful for the things that make me happy:
It's that time of year again (already!). Thanksgiving week is upon us, and in just a couple of weeks the country virtually shuts down until after the first week in January.
So in that annual rite where we think about what we are thankful for, I made a list of the things that invariably bring a smile to my face; that actually make me happy -- thinking these are some of the things I am really thankful for. While I admit that when I was younger, more materialistic pursuits were on my mind, now it turns out the things that please me are all small things; things that cost nothing at all. I had about forty things on the list and I have culled them down to ten.
1. When driving along, I love seeing the expression on dog's faces when they are walking with their masters. The way they look up at them - eyes wide, mouth open, smiling. Dogs are always "engaged". There is just something extraordinarily satisfying about dogs.
2. Sunday mornings in the fall: Me on the couch, lox and bagels, the New York Times, a football game on television, a fire in the fireplace, rain at the window. It doesn't get any better than that.
3. Butterflies and hummingbirds. I can't help but smile when I see either or both. Magical.
4. I love seeing old couples holding hands as they stroll together. Watching them from behind as they amble slowly, so many memories shared. How wonderful.
5. I can't help but smile every time I hear little kids giggling. It just tickles me so much. Their laughter is so genuine and infectious. Would the world would listen more to that music.
6. Whenever I hear of some random act of kindness by human beings towards another, it makes me feel good - hopeful and glad. A gentle reminder that the force for good, for generosity, is so much stronger than the forces that pit us against each other.
7. Dancers. I love dancers. Poetry set to motion to music. Wow.
8. Blue skies and big, puffy white clouds bring a smile to my face and always make me grateful I am alive. Sunrises are like that too - beginnings. And in the Spring when the daffodils first bloom - life is again renewed. Sweet.
9. I get a smug feeling of satisfaction crawling into clean, crisp sheets on a summer's eve. And a good night's sleep is up there too.
10. The tens of thousands of you out there who work in the arts and who never quit. That makes me happy in a way I cannot even put into words. It always makes me proud that I work among you.
And, of course, chocolate, great wine, Magnum ice cream bars, bear claws, Elizabeth George novels, pecan pie and did I mention chocolate?
Wishing you all a very Happy Thanksgiving with friends, family and loved ones.